HR for SMEs is a blog created in the beginning of 2018 with the idea of sharing knowledge. To bring to Small and medium enterprises owners the knowledge of a HR Manager
As an SME owner, entrepreneur or leader you may need to recruit from time to time. So here you have a recruitment process step by step.
How is this article going to help you with the recruitment processes of your SME? If you have never done it, or there are things you believe that could be improved, maybe you just want to know how to make a recruitment process more effective or maybe if you just need a tick list to have a handy recruitment steps list on your desktop, KEEP READING!
Before you start with your recruitment process, it would be highly advisable to have a recruitment strategy in place before you start launching your vacancies to the job market and start with the interview process. Doing HR for an SME is similar to doing it for a big corporation, the important thing is to have an objective an the strategy to achieve it.
We have created a list of the steps that you need to take in order to make sure that your recruitment process leads you to hire the perfect employee for your SME, so you can achieve all your objectives.
STRUCTURE YOUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS
First Part: Modelling the Role
1.First of all, analyse the current needs for your SME. Why do you need someone else? Most of the employee relations problems that appear in small and medium companies come because the role was not properly defined in the first place.
2. Write a list with all the needs of extra work. Point by point. What tasks do you need to be completed?
3. How many hours of work those task will take? Will this person be full time or part time? Can you eliminate some of those tasks with a software or by improving your processes?
Second Part: Define the Perfect Candidate
4. In the same list, analyse the skills someone will need to master those tasks. Are those tasks compatible? It is important when defining the role that we make sure all these tasks could be completed by the same person. As an example, most small and medium companies end up hiring for a secretary or admin person that will end up being responsible for any new tasks that comes into the company. So they will be the office manager, doing post, accountancy, contracts, customer service, etc Which one will be your priority if the workload increase? Having this thought in advance it will help you when making the hiring decision to make the job offer to the perfect candidate.
5. Complete the job description for the role/s. At this point, before we continue, please not that these first steps would be necessary also when hiring an external recruitment agency. They will look for what you ask them, some of them may help you with the process of definition. However, we would strongly recommend that you define your needs before contacting
6. Decide if you need to test their knowledge on any particular area and how you will analyse it.
Third Part: Recruit / Attract Talent
7. Display your net and attract talent. Publish the job posting, post it on the company’s social media, send it to you contacts, job boards, training schools, etc.. wherever you think that the qualified candidates you are looking for will be looking for job.
8. Prepare the interview questions. Do the same questions for every candidate so you can analyse them all by the same standards. Doing the interview questions before receiving the CVs will help you to be objective in the hiring process and get the top talent.
9. Wait some days to receive Cvs from job seekers. Try to evaluate them all at the same time so you will be more productive and effective when selecting top candidates.
Fourth Part: Select
10. Once you have 7 to 10 cvs that could fit with what you are looking for, start the phone interviews.
11. Make a summary of every conversation you have, one per candidate, that will help you to analyse later in a more objective way.
12. Invite the candidates you liked to a second face to face interview.
13. Try to do all the face to face interview on the same day so you can better analyse the candidates.
14. Do the tests if you need it and evaluate.
15. Punctuate the candidates based on the skills and knowledge you defined and select the one that fits better.
Fith Part: Hire
16. Offer the role to the best candidate.
17. Do references checks (if you do it, it is not something usual in all cultures) only after you have made the offer and the offer has been accepted.
Try to make the recruitment process a good experience for the candidate so they have a first good impression. Candidate experience is not only important for your relationship with your future employee, but it also helps you with future recruitment process.
What would happen if this doesn’t work, or if the candidate decides after 2 months that the role is not for them? Would you need to start a new process or could you contact the top 3 candidates to make them an offer?
Last but not Least: Onboarding
Now that you have made a tremendous effort finding and hiring the perfect person, we assume you would like them to be happy and effective as soon as possible and for as long as possible. Onboarding is the period in which the employee gets to learn about the company and their new role, colleagues and adapts to the new situation. It may take up to 3 months to be completely up to speed.
The danger of not doing a good onboarding process for your new employees is not only that they are not efficient soon. The worst thing that could happen is that you hire them, they are perfect and they feel that you are not investing enough time in them, or the role is not exactly what they wanted, so they leave before you can even see the results.
To avoid you that we have created some articles about onboarding to help your efforts with employee engagement from the very first day. Plan the perfect onboarding
We hope this recruitment process step by step will help you with your current and future recruitment tasks! Let us know if you have any questions!
If you liked this blog post, you can receive our regular updates and get a free job description template by clicking below